When I was 6 or 7 years old my father got this recipe from someone at work. It instantly became a holiday tradition. And from that day on, my mom would make it every year around Christmas time. Now that I am out on my own it’s my turn to start making it. I end up giving more than half away every time I make it (if I don’t share I’ll end up eating it all!) I gave some to one of my friends for Christmas this year, and both her and her mother asked if I could make more or share the recipe. So I figured I would share it with all of you, too. This is my favorite way to cure my sweet tooth, and it’s so easy to make! The only thing that takes awhile is waiting for the chocolate to harden in the fridge. I don’t even mind the wait because I know it’ll worth it once I can bite into that crunchy, sweet, chocolaty, goodness 🙂 This can be made with or without the walnuts. This is a picture of the one I made this year (my boyfriend doesn’t like it with walnuts on it). With all the craziness this holiday season brought I didn’t have time to take a picture of it all broken into pieces, or time to make the one with the walnuts. Oh well, there’s always next year! Or maybe a late winter treat 😉
What you’ll need:
1 sleeve unsalted saltines crushed very fine (crush them in the sleeve)
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1- 12 oz Bag of chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line pan with tin foil. (I like the nonstick Reynolds wrap)
- Spread the crushed crackers evenly over the foil.
- In med pan melt butter and sugar; bring to a boil. Cook for few minutes until mixture is thick, cream colored (tan), and pulls away from the pan.
- Drizzle mixture over crackers with a spoon. (Anything more than a drizzle will make gaps in the saltines. I learned that the first time I made it.)
- Bake at 350 approx. 10 min. (It will be med brown)
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips onto hot mixture. Wait about 2 minutes for the chocolate chips to start to melt, then spread the chips evenly over mixture.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and press into chocolate with a spoon (optional)
- Put in refrigerator until chocolate hardens (I leave it in for 1-2 hours normally)
- Break into pieces & serve 🙂
I hope you enjoy it!